Breathing Exercises: 6 Breathing Techniques That Will Calm You Instantly
“A healthy mind in a healthy body.” Recently, with the increase in the intensity of stress in daily life, people find the solution in the way of relaxation with breathing exercises. While there is no need to explain the physiological benefits of sports to the body; It is also said that the psychological benefits are too great to be ignored. Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk said, “A sound mind resides in a sound body.” maxim; relaxation and strength of the body proves that it also brings mental strength.
It is possible for those who do not have the opportunity to do sports to complete the day in a peaceful and healthy way with breathing techniques that they can easily do during the day.
What are Breathing Exercises? Why is it done?
Breath control exercises, which are an exercise technique that can be done in a short time regardless of place and time, are preferred by people because of these features. It is said that the place of the breath in daily life is more important than you might imagine.
It is explained that our changing heart rhythm in moments of stress and excitement can be controlled by breathing exercises. Since the human brain is an organ that is difficult to control, it is considered normal to mix things up under stress. In such moments, the brain, which protects itself with an instinctive reflex, can only function fully when the person relaxes again.
In such cases, calming breathing exercises, which practically return the body to a calm and peaceful state, turn into an action that everyone should learn.
This exercise, which was used for the treatment of various diseases in the past, is seen as a means of relaxation and meditation over time. This type of exercise, which is frequently preferred due to its easy adaptation, is not a method that can be applied simply, contrary to popular belief. The areas where breathing exercises, which have varieties in themselves, are believed to be beneficial are as follows:
- To start the day vigorously, to wake up actively and to turn sleepy states into productive ones during the day.
- To provide calmness in situations where stress and excitement are experienced, and to offer people the opportunity to think successfully.
- To regulate heart rhythm and create healthy circulation.
- To provide emotional and motivational control in moments of energy problems.
- To regulate the nervous system, which is the source of migraine and normal headaches.
How to Do Breathing Exercises? 6 Easy Techniques
The main known breathing exercises, which have many different types explained by experts, are:
- Morning Breath
- Equal Breathing Technique (Sama Vritti)
- Relaxation Breathing (4 – 7 – 8 Technique)
- Breath Counting Technique
- Bellows Breath (Stimulating Breath)
- Diaphragm Breath
- Different benefits and purposes are determined for each technique of breathing exercises with many different techniques. Morning breathing exercise is recommended for those who want to start the day vigorously, while 4-7-8 exercises are recommended for those who lose motivation during the day.
1) Morning Breath
- Stand up, leaning slightly forward, letting your arms swing free.
- Inhale slowly and stand up and hold your breath for a few seconds while standing.
- Lean back slightly, return to your original position and exhale.
With this exercise, it is ensured to start the day vigorously and with clear muscle groups. This increases your daily productivity.
2) Equal Breathing Technique (Sama Vritti)
- Take a deep breath in through your nose and count to four.
- Breathe in through your nose again for a count of four and repeat.
Sama Vritti exercise, one of the simplest techniques, is known for giving comfort, especially before going to sleep. This exercise, which can be done easily during the day, is known for giving peace and calmness.
3) Relaxation Breathing (4 – 7 – 8 Technique)
- First, one hand is placed on the chest and the other on the abdomen.
- Breathe in, feeling your stomach swell and counting to four.
- Count to seven while holding your breath.
- Count to eight as you breathe out slowly.
- Repeat a few times and complete the exercise.
Relaxation breathing, one of the most famous techniques, is seen as the most successful calming exercise. It is known for the widespread use of the technique, which can be easily adapted to daily life.
4) Breath Counting Technique
- Get into a standing position.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath slowly through your nose.
- Let the breath come out by itself, without squeezing to exhale.
Known for its calming feature, this method draws a practical and functional image for exercise lovers.
5) Bellows Breath (Stimulating Breath)
- Breathe in quickly (3 times per second) keeping your mouth closed.
- Breathe quickly for a second, then take a deep breath and repeat this cycle.
The bellows breathing exercise, which is also one of the most famous techniques, draws attention as it is an exercise that can be done when you are alone rather than in crowded environments.
6) Diaphragmatic Breath
- First, get into a position where your body is relaxed.
- One hand should be just above the abdomen and the other hand should be on the chest.
- Take a deep breath. While breathing; Just make sure that the hand on the abdomen moves.
- Breathe out with a whistling sound, without opening your mouth too wide.
- Repeat these steps a few times and complete the exercise.
Claimed to be the most relaxing technique for the body in terms of health; Diaphragm breathing exercise is said to be good for headaches and stomachaches. Migraine can be resolved up to a certain point with breathing exercises.
What are the Benefits of Breathing Exercises? What Does It Do?
Breathing exercises attract attention as they are a type of exercise used especially in far eastern meditation types. Chinese breathing exercises, which have their origins in providing spiritual peace, are known for their psychological benefits rather than their physical benefits.
Breathing exercises, which are the methods used by people who have focusing problems due to psychological problems such as stress, excitement and anxiety, can solve these problems without using drugs and similar methods. Breathing exercises, especially recommended for mothers who have a difficult time due to hormonal changes during pregnancy, relax both the baby and the mother. The main known benefits of breathing exercises are:
- It increases the power of thought and provides mental relaxation.
- It prevents stress, excitement, anxiety and panic situations.
- It allows you to have a nice and restful sleep.
- It supports child development in pregnant women and relaxes the mother.
- It balances blood pressure and digestion. It ensures the efficient operation of body functions.
- It increases the happiness of the person by secreting the hormone serotonin.
- It accelerates the blood circulation to the skin and makes the person’s skin look brighter and livelier.
Although these are the main known benefits; Breathing exercises are also known for their spiritual benefits. According to many behavioral scientists, breathing exercises help to release bad memories and negative moods on the body. Thanks to the serotonin hormone it secretes, the type of exercise that attracts attention with these effects as well as making the person happier, manages to become the superheroes of people during the day.
Weight Loss Techniques with Breathing Exercises
For the exercise and weight loss technique, which is one of the subjects that many people are curious about, breathing exercises training is required first. However, this technique can be applied with the bellows breathing exercise in our article. With this breathing exercise, which is known to accelerate metabolism, weight can be lost by working the abdominal region.
Thanks to the bhatsrika (bellows breathing) exercise, which experts say works the upper and lower abdominal regions, the excess areas are melted. This technique, which is not recommended during pregnancy, also; It is not recommended for menstruation, chest pain, heart disease and hernia.
It is also said that apart from bellows breathing exercise, diaphragm exercise also contributes to weight loss. In short, as in all exercises related to the abdominal region, weight loss can be achieved in breathing exercises.