8 Amazing Benefits of Cactus Fruit
Cactus fruit is a type of fig, which Ibn Sina said years ago that it is more nutritious than all fruits. It is also known as prickly fig, prickly pear and chervil. It has an amazing taste. It grows in the Mediterranean and Aegean regions of our country.
The benefits of cactus fruit, which has a high antioxidant content, do not end with counting. Let’s take a look at the benefits of this medicinal fruit together.
8 Amazing Benefits of Cactus Fruit
1) It Is A Powerful Antioxidant
- Cactus fruit contains plenty of vitamin C.
- Thanks to this feature, it is a powerful antioxidant.
- It strengthens the body’s defense system and reduces the risk of getting diseases.
- It helps to easily overcome winter diseases such as cold, flu, cold and throat infection.
2) Skin Friendly
- The most striking feature of cactus fruit is that it is skin-friendly.
- It is a natural miracle for wrinkles. It prevents premature aging of the skin.
- Eliminates under-eye puffiness.
- It gives the skin a bright and lively appearance.
- Experts say that the positive effects of cactus fruit on the skin are much stronger than aloe vera gel.
- Cactus fruit is an effective food for skin care as well as hair care.
- It nourishes the hair and makes it look radiant.
- It strengthens the hair root and strands.
3) Has Aphrodisiac Effect
- Cactus fruit is a natural aphrodisiac with its sexual power-enhancing effect.
- It is used as a drug that increases sexual power in many countries.
4) Good for Constipation and Bloating
- Another cactus fruit benefit is that it is gut friendly.
- When consumed regularly, it regulates intestinal functions.
- It eliminates digestive problems such as constipation and bloating.
- It reduces the risk of stomach and intestinal problems.
5) Energizes the Body
- It gives energy to the body with its high vitamin C content.
- It is an effective natural recipe against fatigue, especially in spring and summer seasons.
6) Lowers Cholesterol Levels
- Cactus fruit, which regulates cholesterol level, especially helps to reduce bad cholesterol.
- Thanks to this feature, it reduces the risk of various diseases, especially cardiovascular diseases.
7) Has a Low Glycemic Index
- Compared to fig fruit, it has a lower glycemic index.
- Unlike figs, it does not raise blood sugar quickly and then lower it at the same rate.
8) Helps Weight Loss
- Cactus fruit is a food with a low glycemic index, so it keeps you full for a long time.
- It is an ideal food for those who want to lose weight
How to Consume Cactus Fruit?
- Cactus fruit is a sweet and juicy fruit.
- It is also known as prickly fig, prickly pear and chervil.
- It grows in hot and dry areas. Its homeland is South America. In our country, it grows in the Aegean and Mediterranean regions.
- As its name suggests, the prickly fig has thorns on it.
- It is 5-10 cm in size. It has yellow, orange and red bark. It is a type of fleshy fruit.
- The skin is peeled and eaten.
- One cactus fruit is 8 kcal calories. 100 grams is 41 calories.
- 100 grams of cactus fruit; It contains 10 g of carbohydrates, 0.5 g of fat, 0.7 g of protein, 3.6 g of dietary fiber, 5 mg of sodium, 220 mg of potassium, 14 mg of vitamin C.
- Although the benefits of cactus fruit are many, it is not recommended to consume more than 2-3 pieces per day. When consumed too much, undesirable conditions such as abdominal pain or intestinal obstruction may occur.
- It can be safely consumed by all age groups, including children.
- Since it is a thorny fruit, it is a little difficult to collect. It is sold by keeping it in ice-filled containers at market and greengrocer stalls.
- According to Ibn-i Sina, it is a more nutritious and beneficial fruit than all fruits.